Monday, June 22, 2015

Movie Screenings -- A Journey Backwards

It's been a couple of years since I did a movie screening. And tonight I did my first one again, after a long break off. Let me tell you that I loved doing them because I was always one of the first to see a movie. Let me first say that the whole experience of movie screenings is not just about seeing the movie. It's a full experience: from preparing to wait in line (with chairs, snacks, and things to do), to talking and mingling with others, making new friends, seeing old friends, answering the questions of others as they eagerly stop and ask what you are doing, learning about other free things, and wondering how full the theater will be and what time they will let you in.

It was at a movie screening that I first learned about the Chick Fil A First 100 and many other grand opening events. It was at a movie screening that I got passes to see movies I really wanted to see but would not have had passes to otherwise. It was at movie screenings I had some of my best laughs but also some of my biggest frustrations. And it was at movie screenings where I learned to people watch and become the observant mystery shopper I am today.

Allow me a few minutes while I make a few judgments on the sorts of people that come to movie screenings:

The retiree: These are the older folks that are typically the first in line. They will almost always get their choice of seat and may indeed arrive 4-5 hours before the movie starts to wait in line.

The 90s watcher: They've been doing this stuff for nearly two decades. WHAT?!?! They have the most ridiculous stories about picking up tickets at the VHS and CD exchange stores.

The student: There's always gonna be a student right? These are the people that are over prepared, perhaps working on homework or a school project while waiting, yet have plenty of time to see free movies!

The spot holder: This is the person that comes and gets in line early, they appear to be holding a spot for someone, but then that someone turns out to be someten. This person should not be confused with someone really holding a spot for their significant other, family member, or friend.

The bff: The friends that you always see together at every screening you go to. They've seen hundreds of movies together, know which security guards they do and don't like, and know every movie screening coming up that week and the next.

The movie couple: The couple that you see together at every screening you go to. They know the organizers' by name and have the system of getting cheaper snacks mastered.  They also have extra tickets because they both have their own account to get them.

The third wheel: The odd person who goes to a screening alone. Perhaps, this is one of the best strategies. He or she will almost always get a seat because most people come in groups and no one wants to sit separate from their group. Observe closely, there is one or more in every crowd.

The latecomer: The one who may never learn that you don't walk up to a screening at the last minute.

I've been the student, the bff, and the movie couple at other times. But today and until further notice, I am the third wheel.

For more information about movie screenings, start by visiting: Advance Screenings and GoFoBo. (Bet you can't guess what GoFoBo means?)

No comments:

Post a Comment